Thursday, October 4, 2012

My Ghastly Family


Every family has a few skeletons in their closet... and mine looks like they might have an arm and a leg too.  This is such a cheap and classy way to get into the Halloween spirit.  Search thrift stores for interesting frames.  Don't worry if there is art in it, you can always cut open the back and pop it out.  To give them a regal antique look, spray them gold and then lightly dust them with black.
The three main pictures in this collage are of me and my roommates.  There are tons of youtube tutorials on how you can use photoshop to age and add some scare value to portraits.  My suggestion is to find an antique photograph online, put the person's head on the period clothing, add some dark circles over the eyes, and add layers of grunge filters and brushes on top of them.  If you aren't looking to personalize it, there are plenty of spooky antique portraits you can google, print out, and frame.  

A VERY BAD THING
Some of my prize pictures are lenticular changing photos.  You probably have seen some of these in halloween stores.  My favorite, however, come from a site called Haunted Memories.  They are more expensive than the ones you will find in Kmart, but the artist Edward Allen does some truly amazing work.  Here is a little video of some of my favorites.



3 comments: